ReaderMarija

ReaderMarija's Reviews

...a pot luck of thoughts and reflections

Resurrection
Rosemary Edmonds, Leo Tolstoy
Christmas Pudding and Pigeon Pie (Vintage Original)
Nancy Mitford
Tales of Glass Town, Angria, and Gondal: Selected Early Writings
The Here and Now - Ann Brashares

After reading the last few pages of this novel, I felt a moment of déjà vu—not in regards to plot, but to the overall reading experience. The Here and Now reminded me of my overall reaction to reading Robin McKinley’s novel, Chalice. I loved reading Chalice and found elements of it quite intriguing. However, it felt more like a prelude than a complete work. Though the book had a definite conclusion, it felt more like a beginning, and I couldn’t help but wish for more. The Here and How is just like that. This book could easily be the beginning of a series if the author wished to make one. That said, a series or a companion book is not entirely necessary, since the author adds just enough hints and suggestions that allow the reader to envision a more satisfying conclusion that could happen in the near future—a future that would benefit not only the main protagonists but those associated with them as well.

In regards to the actual story, I liked it for the most part. Both Prenna and Ethan’s characters are interesting and in some respects true to life. They both share the difficulties associated in learning how to balance personal interests with the responsibilities and rules they’re expected to follow. As illustrated in the novel’s pacing, this struggle becomes immediately apparent to the reader, with the characters attempting to fulfill the mission presented to them, while at the same time trying to pursue a normal relationship. The resulting plot mix initially makes for an odd read…the characters seemingly procrastinating, engaged in normal everyday activities that have no real bearing on the problem at hand. However, Prenna and Ethan are just teenagers, who happen to be doing what any normal teenage couple would do to develop their relationship. And once the reader remembers this, the plot choices begin to make sense.

However, the one plot element that I found fault with is one that I’ve found in many young adult dystopian novels, i.e. the shifting roles of adult-teen relationships, placing teens in a position of power over adults, with the adults quietly accepting this role reversal. This is a plot element that is a bit overused, and as a result, has lost its overall effect. As depicted in this novel, this moment feels too simple and easy…a move that directly leads into a tidy and speedy resolution. I would have liked more verbal interaction to develop additional conflict, which would eventually build into the final resolution of the story. I think this addition would have made the book more appealing and distinct from other books in this genre.

Overall, The Here and Now’s mix of time travel, mysterious viruses, action and first love has the makings for a read that could engage many young adult readers. That said, while some elements of this story make for an intriguing read, other aspects of the novel, especially in regards to its conclusion, left me as a reader wanting more.