ReaderMarija

ReaderMarija's Reviews

...a pot luck of thoughts and reflections

Resurrection
Rosemary Edmonds, Leo Tolstoy
Christmas Pudding and Pigeon Pie (Vintage Original)
Nancy Mitford
Tales of Glass Town, Angria, and Gondal: Selected Early Writings
Gates of Paradise - Melissa  de la Cruz The first word that comes to mind when reflecting upon this final installment of de la Cruz’s Blue Bloods series is “busy.” This small book is crammed with so many different characters and stories set in both the past and present, that at times I felt overwhelmed by everything taking place. This wasn’t so much due to the various stories themselves—in point of fact, for the most part nothing much really happens—but due to the frenetic pacing of the novel. All of the significant plot points happen extremely fast; and the all important final battle between good and evil—that monumental moment the reader has been waiting for throughout the series—seems to be over within a second. Told and viewed from so many different points of view make the entire scene feel heavily edited and ultimately anticlimactic.

That said, de la Cruz does provide a satisfying conclusion to the battle...an ultimate sacrifice is paid, and rewards are fulfilled. This part of the novel was actually quite good. However, de la Cruz’s decision to end her novel with that final chapter—ending this saga with that final image—struck me as being a strange choice on her part, since it seems to undermine what had just come before. The sentiments expressed by that final act almost ring false, leading the reader to question whether these feelings are real or are perhaps manufactured by the “forced connection”? Especially considering that this is a theme currently shared on the CW’s The Vampire Diaries, this final scene creates a conflicting image that cannot be ignored.

All told, when looking back over the whole of this series, I do believe Melissa de la Cruz had an interesting idea when she began this series of novels—the idea of vampires as fallen angels trying to make their own personal “heavens” here on earth. Yet, I think due to the pacing of this series, I feel that some of the stories, and especially the mythology surrounding this series, were lost in translation. Ultimately, the overall execution of this series wasn’t entirely satisfying.