ReaderMarija

ReaderMarija's Reviews

...a pot luck of thoughts and reflections

Resurrection
Rosemary Edmonds, Leo Tolstoy
Christmas Pudding and Pigeon Pie (Vintage Original)
Nancy Mitford
Tales of Glass Town, Angria, and Gondal: Selected Early Writings
Wicked Lovely - Melissa Marr In the past, when I read a book that had received mixed reviews, I would typically agree with the reviewers who said the book was missing something essential either in plot, characterization, or writing style. But, I was pleasantly surprised by how much I actually enjoyed reading Wicked Lovely.

This first book of the series tells the story of Aislinn, a seventeen year old born with the ability to see the fey. For Aislinn, this ability is more like a curse/nightmare, since she’s been a constant witness to their evil, nefarious ways. But now, she’s being pursued by Keenan, their summer king, who believes her to be the girl he’s been searching for, for centuries; the one who can help him realize his full power to defeat his mother, the Winter Queen. Marr’s story is also enhanced by a strong supporting cast: Seth, Aislinn’s friend/boyfriend who promises to stand by her regardless of her choice and Donia, the Winter Girl, relegated to her current state by failing the test to become Keenan’s queen.

In each chapter, Marr incorporates various aspects of fairy folklore that add to the reader’s understanding of the politics surrounding fairy life. This, along with Marr’s strong characters (enhanced by witnessing them from multiple povs), lyrical prose and strong imagery all work together to draw the reader into this modern urban fairy world. Can’t wait to read the rest of this series.