ReaderMarija

ReaderMarija's Reviews

...a pot luck of thoughts and reflections

Resurrection
Rosemary Edmonds, Leo Tolstoy
Christmas Pudding and Pigeon Pie (Vintage Original)
Nancy Mitford
Tales of Glass Town, Angria, and Gondal: Selected Early Writings
Fade - Lisa McMann This second book of the Wake trilogy certainly does have its good points. The story is realistic and raw as it deals with its dark subject matter of sexual predators. This rawness is achieved by the writing style. The clipped sentences, the simple, sudden bursts of feeling in the descriptions add to the overall effect and help draw the reader into the moment. I rather liked how this was done. The style’s so visual that I almost felt like I was watching a film as I was reading.

Janie and Cabel are more developed in Fade. The reader’s able to better understand their desires and fears—both physical and emotional. And again, this is aided by the writing style, allowing the characters seem more tangible and real. Interesting and well done.

However for me, the book still seemed to be missing something, and that precludes me from giving it more than three stars. I really can’t put my finger on it. I wasn’t turned off by the subject matter or by the characters. But as I got to the end of the book, I wasn’t satisfied and was left with the feeling of wanting more. I respect McMann’s work, but in my opinion it just wasn’t enough.