ReaderMarija

ReaderMarija's Reviews

...a pot luck of thoughts and reflections

Resurrection
Rosemary Edmonds, Leo Tolstoy
Christmas Pudding and Pigeon Pie (Vintage Original)
Nancy Mitford
Tales of Glass Town, Angria, and Gondal: Selected Early Writings
Rumors - Anna Godbersen Oh boy! What else can I say? This book has 400+ pages and nothing really happens; the majority of the book is padding and fluff. Cheap and ultimately boring. Most days I could only bear reading one chapter, if that. I don’t really like giving one star reviews, but I find that this book definitely does deserve it.

In my previous review for The Luxe, I noted several predictions for the rest of the series, and I pretty much got them right.

Penelope: She did get her man in the end, and like I had said, the pairing was bittersweet. Did happen to laugh at the irony in the description of their nuptials: The lure of rumors and gossip takes precedence over the actual ceremony, when it was gossip that had brought them together in the first place. Only as an afterthought do the guests remember to congratulate the bride and groom. A definite bad beginning for the “happy” pair. ;)

Diana: She’s still the only redeeming character in the book; I kept on reading because of her. A shame really that she has set her sights on a man who’s ultimately weak. I refuse to buy his claim that the marriage would have saved her reputation. If it was true love, and not just a passing flirtation, social opinion wouldn’t have mattered. But fear of dishonor and disownment sent him on his chosen path. If he had any gumption, he could have followed the example of Will and Elizabeth: Elopement with his “true bride” and the discovery of fame and fortune out West. I wish Godbersen built up the partnership between Diana and Barnard. This storyline had promise, but nothing really came of it—just a few sparks to the kindling, without it really catching light.

Elizabeth, Will, and Snowden: I had lost my respect for this pair in book one. And those final moments only served to refute my belief in this couple’s stupidity. How could a man put up with Elizabeth’s constant pessimistic view of the world? Her constant “Oh, but Will” kept making my eyes roll. One minute she loves him and can’t stand the thought of ever being parted from his side, the next she remembers her social breeding and sees him as a worker and her inferior with “his soiled surge trousers.” And whatever possessed them to go back to New York when they had no money to offer her family? They should have waited until they made their fortune, and then went back to offer aid. And how stupid could they have been, not to realize that New Year’s Eve wouldn’t be a busy travel day in NYC? They both fell right into Snowden’s little plan. His next move will probably be to console the poor widow, and offer her something that she won’t be able to refuse….

Lina and Tristan: Both are playing their cards well. But it was rather silly to have him believe that she was a real society girl. And I have a feeling that it’s only a matter of time for the two to crash and burn, especially with the hints of Lina’s new suitor: the banker heir.