ReaderMarija

ReaderMarija's Reviews

...a pot luck of thoughts and reflections

Resurrection
Rosemary Edmonds, Leo Tolstoy
Christmas Pudding and Pigeon Pie (Vintage Original)
Nancy Mitford
Tales of Glass Town, Angria, and Gondal: Selected Early Writings
The Thief - Megan Whalen Turner Ooh… I really loved this! ;) The Thief has everything I could possibly want from a book and more: Enticing plot, interesting back-story, political intrigue, and some mystery with heroes and traitors all interwoven in a fascinating and imaginative world created by the author. Turner enhances all of this by telling the story from a rather engaging and funny narrator: Gen, the thief.

After I finished the book, I couldn’t help but remember what one of my professors said when we were reading Austen: Don’t trust the narrator, always be wary! Gen is certainly the embodiment of this idea. He’s very charismatic, I couldn’t help but like him, yet he’s very tricky. He’s never really giving you the full picture of the events, only allowing glimpses of what he wants you to see at the time. He’s very much in control. But looking back, I never felt alienated or betrayed after finally getting to the surprising denouement. In fact, I laughed and placed a large smile and exclamation mark in the margin of my book. In my opinion, that really demonstrates the caliber of Turner’s writing.

I just can’t believe that it has taken me over ten years to finally read this. Can’t wait to read the rest of the series.