ReaderMarija

ReaderMarija's Reviews

...a pot luck of thoughts and reflections

Resurrection
Rosemary Edmonds, Leo Tolstoy
Christmas Pudding and Pigeon Pie (Vintage Original)
Nancy Mitford
Tales of Glass Town, Angria, and Gondal: Selected Early Writings
The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner - Stephenie Meyer To tell the truth, when I first picked this book up, I completely forgot who this Bree Tanner was. I last read Eclipse about two years ago, and I guess she really didn’t make that much of an impression on me. So before I made any headway with the text, I had to look her up.

After reading the first few pages of the novella, I felt slightly confused—that my memory of the book’s lore was playing tricks on me: I felt that I was getting more questions than I was receiving answers. For example, Bree’s coven had a taboo against sunlight, fearing that they’d burn from its deadly rays.

But once you get over the fact that this is one of those paradoxical “This is the story of my death” tales and actually get into the meat of the text, everything comes together and makes sense. And I did find it an interesting character study of a newborn vampire.

At the end, I found myself wanting to know what’s going to happen to Fred. Since the story’s told from Bree’s point of view, Fred for the most part remains an enigma, but I couldn’t help myself wanting to know more about him—How was he caught and turned? How does he manipulate his “invisibility cloak”? What’s really going on behind that stoic mask of his?

Not really a bad story, but it just left me wanting more.