ReaderMarija

ReaderMarija's Reviews

...a pot luck of thoughts and reflections

Resurrection
Rosemary Edmonds, Leo Tolstoy
Christmas Pudding and Pigeon Pie (Vintage Original)
Nancy Mitford
Tales of Glass Town, Angria, and Gondal: Selected Early Writings
Misguided Angel (Blue Bloods, Book 5) - Melissa de la Cruz I’m going to go ahead and give this book what I consider a generous three star rating, though technically I’m not sure that it really deserves it. On the one hand, I do love Melissa de la Cruz’s premise to this series—the Milton-esque idea of fallen angels as vampires and the journey to their possible redemption. I truly do think this concept is cool and different, and I do like the characters. However on the other hand, the problem with this series is the development and overall execution. At the end of each book, there are lots of unanswered questions, and with each additional book to the series, they’re never really addressed. The author’s companion guide to the series, Keys to the Repository is meant to appease the reader by providing clarification to the story, but all it really does is highlight all the errors that she made in her previous books—showing how she’s changing the overall story arc as she continues on… basically adding to the confusion.

For instance in Misguided Angel, —spoiler alert—*the book ends with Jack’s proposal to Schuyler to “seal their bond.” I couldn’t help but wonder how this was possible, since they’re not technically twinned souls with a connection that was forged in heaven. In the previous books to the series, the bonding ceremony was portrayed as something that could only occur between two twinned spirits… and that if a spirit lost their bond mate, like Trinity Force, they wouldn’t be able to forge a new one—the only “bond” they could make would be a secular marriage of convenience. Misguided Angel doesn’t offer any discussion or explanation of the type of bond Jack and Schuyler are going to pursue, though it heavily hints a Blood Bond. However, I did go back and check the companion guide for some clarification, and did notice that when de la Cruz defines the “Blood Bond,” she is purposefully vague, allowing for the possibility of forging a new connection between spirits.—* So, the reader’s left to wait for the second companion book to the series, coming out in December, to see what actually happens.

Yet, there are some good aspects to this installment of the series. Even though basically Book 5 serves as an example of an author writing a book for the sake of just writing a book, i.e. having more hints of possibilities than real answers to further the plot; it has a different tone of voice. It’s more mature; the characters, namely Mimi, have grown up somewhat and are now developing a conscience. There’s less focus on being seen wearing the latest fashion trends and picking up various boyfriends, with more interest invested in the actual problems currently plaguing the New York coven. It’s a mystery divided into four main sections describing events from the past and present, with each section essentially converging on the same concluding theme. The theory the author proposes at the end of the book is kind of interesting, if she pursues it the way I’m predicting, i.e. that she’s essentially describing the events leading up to Bliss’s birth and is perhaps inherently indicating the identity of Schuyler’s father. The only problem with Book 5’s mystery is the fact that de la Cruz basically gives away the identity of the perpetrator two thirds of the way into her story. For me, the hint she gives is so obvious it can’t be overlooked.

Overall, I do like the characters, I like the idea behind the story, but wish it had better execution and development. Generally, I’m still invested and would like to see if my predictions from this book, as well as the ones I made previously, do come to fruition.