ReaderMarija

ReaderMarija's Reviews

...a pot luck of thoughts and reflections

Resurrection
Rosemary Edmonds, Leo Tolstoy
Christmas Pudding and Pigeon Pie (Vintage Original)
Nancy Mitford
Tales of Glass Town, Angria, and Gondal: Selected Early Writings
A Midsummer Night's Dream - William Shakespeare This is another great comedy by Shakespeare with lots of pretty speeches that remind me of some of my favorite works. I believe Charlotte Brontë had one of Lysander’s speeches in mind when she described Rochester’s feelings towards Jane: “[M]y heart unto yours is knit, so that but one heart we can make of it: Two bosoms interchained with an oath; so then, two bosoms, and a single troth.” I also thought that Hermia’s dream had a sort of Jane Eyre quality to it as well: “Ah me, for pity!—what a dream was here! Lysander, look how I do wake with fear: methought a serpent eat my heart away, and you sat smiling at his cruel prey.” Lots of layers of meaning can be extrapolated from this dream.

I also love the little troupe of play actors… silly humor, but still quite cute.

Even though I do like this play, it was never one of my favorites. In this case, I think it’s a play that’s better read than watched. I was always annoyed by the film versions. Mickey Rooney’s rendition of Puck drove me crazy. And I never really liked that fairly recent version with Rupert Everett, Christian Bale and Calista Flockhart, which was a little too whiny in my opinion. Though I must say that I did like that modern version done in the BBC’s ShakespeaRe-Told series, starring Sharon Small and Johnny Vegas.