ReaderMarija

ReaderMarija's Reviews

...a pot luck of thoughts and reflections

Resurrection
Rosemary Edmonds, Leo Tolstoy
Christmas Pudding and Pigeon Pie (Vintage Original)
Nancy Mitford
Tales of Glass Town, Angria, and Gondal: Selected Early Writings
Wondrous Strange - Lesley Livingston *3.5 stars*

Not quite sure how to rate this book. On the one hand it’s better than some of the young adult fantasies that I gave three stars to, but it’s not as good as some of the books I gave four stars. It’s a cute book, a good light read…a simple story not too overcomplicated with crazy situations, the focus is more on character development. In that way it reminds me of the old L.J. Smith novels.

There is the Shakespeare connection here as well. Besides the obvious connection, that being Kelley’s acting part in the play A Midsummer Night's Dream, there are subtle moments of wordplay that are quite good. Livingston also includes lines from other Shakespearian plays, which are imbedded in the dialogue. Yet she manages to incorporate these lines in a seamless manner, the words flowing naturally with the regular dialogue. I really like how she does this.

I also like the romance here. It’s not one of those perfect ten moments, where once the characters meet, they immediately run into each other’s arms, declaring their undying love. Kelley and Sonny have a more antagonistic relationship at first. The characters are mostly at odds, though there is that little spark of interest that manages to kindle rather than completely die away. Picture Beatrice and Benedick from Much Ado About Nothing instead of Bella and Edward.

True, there are a few silly moments here and there, but overall I found it entertaining.