ReaderMarija

ReaderMarija's Reviews

...a pot luck of thoughts and reflections

Resurrection
Rosemary Edmonds, Leo Tolstoy
Christmas Pudding and Pigeon Pie (Vintage Original)
Nancy Mitford
Tales of Glass Town, Angria, and Gondal: Selected Early Writings
Indiana - Sylvia Raphael, Naomi Schor, George Sand Sand’s Indiana deserves four stars simply for its entertainment. The book is ridiculously funny! I can’t say that I have ever read a novel where an adult male lead faints in embarrassment and later asks for his mother’s aid when things get out of hand. Those Raymon sections were absolutely wonderful and so much fun to read.

That said, the story itself is a complete mess. It’s silly, yet I must give George Sand credit for knowing when and where to add those wickedly funny descriptions to maintain the reader’s interest. Overall, Indiana is a rather choppy read. Important events occur suddenly; and at times, they even take place outside of the natural progression of the story, and are instead told in the form of flashback. As well, I thought some of the side stories Sand incorporates into her plot were more interesting and intriguing than Indiana’s—the book’s heroine. I loved reading Sir Ralph’s backstory and heartily wished that Sand had more of an opportunity to elaborate on some of the circumstances and events she described. His story alone would have made for an excellent novel.

Indiana is one of the silliest and most impulsive characters I’ve ever come across in literature. Yet, her character is not entirely off-putting, since Sand infuses some amusing qualities in her portrayal. Indiana thinks and believes in absolutes and “virtuous” ideals, and when it comes to her reasoning about certain things, e.g. her husband, she can be rather severe. Yet her severeness verges on the comical in its simplicity. When it comes to her husband, Indiana honestly believes: I never loved him when I married him, so why should I bother myself with trying to like him, or to find qualities in him that I could love? Her reasoning is stark, yet there’s something amusing in its plain frankness.

Overall, I honestly wasn’t very impressed with Sand’s novel. However, there are elements that are interspersed throughout that make this work rather engaging to read.