ReaderMarija

ReaderMarija's Reviews

...a pot luck of thoughts and reflections

Resurrection
Rosemary Edmonds, Leo Tolstoy
Christmas Pudding and Pigeon Pie (Vintage Original)
Nancy Mitford
Tales of Glass Town, Angria, and Gondal: Selected Early Writings

Darkfever (Fever, #1)

Darkfever (Fever #1) - Karen Marie Moning The main reason why I finally chose to read these Fever novels is the fact that they appealed to a number of Goodreaders with diverse reading tastes. After reading this first book, I can certainly understand the interest in this series, since it does have various elements that could satisfy different readers. But while I did find some story elements that did appeal to me, I was for the most part unsatisfied with this first story.

Nothing happens in this book! In truth, I can easily summarize what happens in one sentence: A beloved sister is dead and Mac begins a quest to find her sister’s killer, as well as discover the whereabouts of the mysterious book her sister mentions in her final cryptic phone message. Essentially that’s it for the story, apart from the fact that Mac discovers she has “special” powers and meets a few quirky characters along the way. As I was reading, I couldn’t help but feel that if this single book was being scripted for a TV series, the story could easily fit an hour program—that’s all. By the end of the book, nothing is really solved...as a reader I felt as if the author was dangling a carrot in my face, forcing me onto the next book in her series. This “fever”—if you can really call it that—to me felt more akin to a kind of author-reader betrayal. It’s not at all a pleasant feeling.

The only real reason why I want to continue with the series is to see if my predictions about Barrons were well founded. He is the only character in this book I like—even though he’s in the background for the most part. Barrons is one of those dark, gothic, brooding force of nature types...and I want to find out what he’s hiding. When he first came out from the shadows in that book shop...I immediately felt that there was something otherworldly about him and by the novel’s close I felt that he seemed much too old for thirty—even though I used to know someone who was like that. At the end of the first book, I coined a nickname for Barrons: “black sheep.” He seems like someone or something that broke away from family—(I think he has a brother)—and past...to live life his own way on his terms. I honestly have no idea how this will turn out—as I’m writing this I’m only about thirty pages into the third book—and his background is just as shadowed and unclear as in the first.

In regards to Mac, I don’t really know what to say about her. I think “Miss Rainbow” says enough. Though I do love how she’s coined herself as Barrons’ personal “OOP Detector.” ;)